The entrance to the main channel to Pensacola Bay is by the Caucus Channel. The channel is 500 feet wide at its seaward end and dredged to 33 feet in depth. The approach channel to the Port of Pensacola is 300 feet wide with a control depth of 33 feet, and intersects Pensacola Bay in a generally northeasterly direction. The Gulf Intracoastal Waterway (GIWW) intersects the Port’s entrance channel just north of Santa Rosa Island. The GIWW traverses the Gulf of Mexico from Brownsville, Texas to Ft. Meyers, Florida before connecting to the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway via the Okeechobee Waterway.
Pilot services – Pensacola Bay Pilots provide 24-hour service for all vessels entering of leaving the Port. All vessels, except those exempted by the laws of the United States or those drawing less than 7 feet of water, must have a licensed state pilot or certified deputy pilot on board to direct the movements of the vessel when entering or leaving the Port. Pilots can be reached on VHF channel 13 (156.65mc), channel 6 (156.30mc) and channel 12 (156.60mc). Telephone numbers are: Pensacola Bay Pilots, 850-418-4222.
Port Pensacola is located at latitude 30 degrees, 24 minutes north; longitude 87 degrees, 13 minutes west. The following infrastructure and services are available to port customers:
- Seven warehouses with over 400,000 square feet of available indoor storage area.
- Covered railcar loading and unloading.
- Four acres of open, outside storage (lay down) area with 8-10 additional acres available for future development.
- On-dock Class 1 rail service provided by CSX Transportation
- Seven berths ranging in depth from 16 to 35 feet, including 2,360 linear feet of primary deepwater berths, 1,000 linear feet of secondary shallow draft berths, and 1,000 linear feet of shallow draft moorage. Deepwater berths are supported by 1,200 linear feet of rail trackage.
- A full range of stevedoring services and cargo handling equipment.
- 24/7 ISPS certified and U.S. Department of Homeland Security & Florida Department of Law Enforcement compliant security force and procedures. TWIC required for access to port.
- An efficient, experienced and professional labor force (non-union).
- A commercial ferry service with routes to Pensacola Beach and special tours available. Contact Pensacola Bay Ferries.